Journal Entry

It’s been a weird week.

Specifically, my melancholy funk from last week has persisted. Now it’s possible that I gave myself the melancholy by writing it so much into Jason’s story last week, or it’s possible I was already there and that’s why I inflicted it on my protagonist. The first seems more likely given our different life situations (things are actually going really well for me these days — and not so much for poor King Jason), but if I did have a little bit of a manic/depressive cycle going, it’d make sense that the last month, with all its writing productivity, would account for my manic phase, and I’m just now crashing. Physiologically, that seems more probable. I’ve been tired all the time, no matter how much I sleep, and I’m having trouble finding the motivation to do things that two weeks ago came easily. Those sound like pretty telling symptoms.

None of this is major, and I’m not going to harp on it, but it’s something that’s been going on in my life.

Speaking of which! The rundown:

Friday, July 27th
Friday night I went out drinking with K– and N–. It was supposed to be this big party, with D– (who had committed) and B– and E– (who were invited), but D– backed out, and E– is preggers, and B– is a good husband, so whatcha gonna do? T–‘s parents came into town to celebrate her birthday, so she kept AB at home to hang out with them.

So, K– and N– took me to Hawaiian Don’s, a bar that they tried out a month or two ago and really liked. The place’s main gimmick is a (relatively cheap) 60 oz. drink. Fun. So, between the three of us (and, mind you, over the course of several hours), we had 300 oz. of coctails Friday night. Fun fun!

Saturday, July 28th
So, anyway, I made some poor choices Friday night, which meant that Saturday morning was brutal. Brutal. Leave it at that.

Oh, but wait! We didn’t. D– showed up around 9:00 (although I didn’t get up until 10:15) because he needed some help moving. Moving! Ugh. Anyway, he’d gotten the apartment close to my place, which I’m pretty excited about it. It’s a cool little apartment, too. So B– brought a pickup home from work and the three of us were able to move D–‘s few belongings in a couple hours. Not too bad. He took me out to lunch by way of saying thanks.

After that, I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond with T– and her parents so she could spend her birthday money. She ended up getting a cool new quilt for our bed, which also gives her a color scheme to work off of so we can finally get the bedroom painted. Tricky, that.

Then for the evening we had a picnic at the park at Hefner Lake, as T–‘s official birthday party. B– and E– came, and T–‘s friend Rebecca with her oldest son, and K– and N– of course, and T–‘s parents. It was quite the crowd. And in spite of it being a picnic, and in spite of it being at the park, and in spite of it being at the lake, and in spite of it being, y’know, outside, I had a really good time. Everyone did. It was a lot of fun.

Sunday, July 29th
(Yikes, I should have been doing this daily!)

Sunday morning at church, the A/C was out in the auditorium so we had services in the dining hall. It went pretty well, although it still got close to uncomfortably warm before everything was said and done. Then T–‘s parents took us to Carino’s for lunch (one of T–‘s favorite places), and then we just sort of lounged for most of the afternoon.

Her parents went home about 3:30, and at 5:30 we went over to K– and N–‘s for supper, which ended up being another big party. D– brought pizza and his mom, and Toby and Gwyn came to visit, too. They’d been down in Dallas for a wedding, then spent the afternoon with B– and E–, and then had dinner with us. That was a lot of fun. Their kids are both really cute. We had a lot of fun playing with Lucas. Also, Toby brought iWays (or automotive GPS devices, if you prefer) for K– and me. Awesome! We had to pay for them, sure, but still awesome. Also, N– made some delicious cookies.

Ugh, and then there came the week. Like I said, a weird one. I didn’t walk Sunday or Monday. I’ve got the first two pages of two different stories written, but I can’t seem to finish them (that motivation thing I mentioned at the top). Work has been slow, and I’ve been sleepy. That’s pretty much my week.

Tomorrow T– and I are going to Dallas to help K– move his mom’s possessions, but we should be home Saturday night. Then I’ll post again Sunday night, and it’ll be a whole week lost. So there you go. Sorry I didn’t write. I’ll be better about it in future.